Wednesday, May 28, 2014

to bennett

Oh goodness, oh my. My oldest.  The one that I learned on.  The one that gave me the gift of mother hood.  The one that brings me such joy because of many things, but especially because of your choices and desires, your talent and mind.  
Oh Bennett, I just can't for the life of me decide how or why I got to be your mom.  
From the moment you were born, you have been so good.  You want to be good, if you are told something you did or said isn't good, you are shocked and sorry.  
You would never deliberately do something you know to be wrong, or unkind.  
I am grateful for that.  I hear often what a good kid you are and I can only say, "That's so sweet of you to say."  I could say, yes I know!  He is pretty amazing!, but I would be pretty annoying,
 but that is certainly what I feel.  
7th grade has been so much better for you.  6th grade was a struggle and I am so happy that is behind you.  When we decided to move you were so sad to move from your school. 
 I remember being so sad for you and one day knowing you were supposed to go to your new school that was part of the reason why we found this house was for you to attend a different jr high.  
It didn't make sense at the time, but sure enough, it was true.  
You have grown and flourished at this new school, you have made many new friends and really enjoy and appreciate your teachers and faculty.  
You have found this new talent.  At Christmas time you wouldn't sing while playing your guitar because you claimed you were NOT a singer.  
Who knew that just a few months later you would be portraying in your first ever musical role as the Beast in Beauty and the Beast. 
 I had the privilege to help out as the musical director.  It was so fun to watch you with your peers and these new friends.  
I just was so happy to hear so many kids and teachers come to me saying how good and kind you were and were a friend they could trust and enjoyed being around.  
That is saying a lot.  Especially in Jr. High!  
I always say that you kind of gave it to me too easy for my first.
 Nothing has every really been a struggle or difficult for you, 
I have never really had to keep you in line or fear what you may be doing or saying.  
Although, I have been extremely grateful for this, it has made other children a  whole other challenge.  ;)

The other day I found on my phone a goal list for you.  
1st class scout
read to Alma
better my football game
learn 3 broadway songs
1 hour of house work
read 3 classic books
20 minutes of piano
run 3 5ks
keep straight A's

That's just who you are.  You are looking for ways to improve and this list just brought tears to my eyes.  You just want to be good.  I am so happy about that.

You are getting older with more of a social life.  That is so fun to watch and see. Of course I wish I could keep you as a baby forever, but I haven't figured out a way to do that yet.  So, I am just going to enjoy this season as much as I can.  Thank you for still wanting me around and spending time with me.  It's practically my favorite.

Bennett, thank you.  Thanks for our long walks and talks.  Thanks for your desire and goals.  Thanks for always giving me the benefit of the doubt.  Thanks for teaching me the ropes.  Thanks for going easy on me.  Thanks for being mine and His.  Love you Bennett Boo!  


No comments: