Wednesday, June 4, 2008

a year ago today...

I can hardly believe it as I am typing it. Andy has been employed now for a whole full year! It seriously was a blink of an eye to me. I cannot believe he has been working for a year.



I remember about a month and a year ago when Andy graduated from Dental School not being even able to imagine what life would be like with a job. We had gone 8 years with basically no job at all. I could not even fathom the idea to tell you truth. I do have to say his graduation day was one of the best days of our lives. It was partly due to the fact of the being "jobless" era was over, but also it was just a perfect day. The weather was gorgeous both of our families were there, it was just a perfect wonderful day. It is still weird to think that Andy was the only one in his dental school class to have a family, much less four kiddos. I am really so proud of him and his accomplishments. He worked so hard and did so well. I cannot even imagine doing all that he did and come home to a family. I feel so blessed!



A funny story about a year ago today...

We left Chicago the day before on June 3rd. We were so sad to leave. We had a huge 26 foot truck full. Andy and Bennett drove that and Cherise the kids and I drove our mini van. It took a long time to make it back. When we finally arrived and got to our apartment, they were supposed to leave a key for us and they did not. So at one in the morning we were stranded. It was awful. We called the office knowing no one was there and hoped for a miracle. Finally I remember my high school days of never having a key for some reason and how acquainted I got with my id card. Yes I broke in to our brand new apartment. Awful, right? I still kind of feel bad about that.



We got in and put Bennett and our two 18 months olds and 1, 5 month old on the floor with blankets. Luckily they were brand new and the carpets were nice. We fell asleep on the floor quickly we were so tired.



Morning came and Andy got up for his first day of work he had so anxiously been awaiting for. He placed his clothes and shoes in the back of the truck so he could get to it. He headed off to work beaming from ear to ear so excited about practicing his love of dentistry.



I got a call from the office manager early in the morning. I was so embarrassed and felt so bad to tell her how we got in. It probably did not start us off well, but I think we made up for it. But, hey they were the ones that did not do their part, right? Ok, I am justifying a bit I know.

The funniest part was when Andy came home and he wasn't wearing any socks. I asked him if he was going all Don Johnson on us. He said that he had forgotten to put the socks with his clothes and he couldn't get to them so he went sock less! I would never been able to do that. He then said no one noticed. I knew that was not possible. How could you not notice the new dentist not wearing socks!

A few months later when the girls there got a little more comfortable with him they told him they noticed and just thought he didn't like to wear socks! Who doesn't like to were socks!?!

Anyway, he said today he was going to show up without any socks so I will have to see how that went.

So here's to the wonderful year we have had. It feels nice having a job for more than one reason. I feel grateful for the job we have and the husband I have. Congrats Andy to one successful year complete!

No comments: