Thursday, July 8, 2010

On the Menu

A picture of my double chocolate zucchini cake!

Ever since we have gotten back from Florida I have been on a serious cooking/baking spree. Partly because I want to and partly because our garden has gone crazy and I want to use everything and not waste it.





This year our garden has been great. We have lots and lots of herbs and a zucchini plant that is the zucchini plant of all zucchini plants. A brings in about 10 LARGE zucchinis every single night. I have made more breads and cakes that should even be discussed! I have made soup, a casserole, relish, muffins and I am trying a mock apple pie with zucchini next. Sounds great to me!





This week on the menu we have had;


Monday was a bbq when we got home from out of town. We grilled dogs for the kids and these amazing spinach chicken links from Sam's that are Divine!


Tuesday we had a really tasty shrimp meal. Basically just shrimp, evoo, lemon zest, lemon juice and dill from the garden. So delish!


Wednesday we had chicken parm.


Tonight we had veggie loaf, which is really meat loaf but the kids call it veggie loaf. So here's why...





First of all, all of you out there that loves meatloaf I have a recipe for you that is so so good and a great secret. I use two pounds of 90% lean beef, 1.5 cups of bread crumbs, 1.5 cups milk, 2 eggs, salt and pepper to taste. Then I chop up with my trusty ole chopper, celery, onion, red pepper, green pepper, carrots and of course, zucchini. I mix it all in. Here is the secret, you make them into muffins. You put them into a muffin tin and it makes a perfect serving size and I hate when the loaf pans get greasy or have a hard time baking and release from the sides and it works flawlessly in the muffin tins. The kids think it is so so fun too. Then after about 35 minutes baking on 350 I add a ketchup, brown sugar and mustard mix on top and bake for about another 10 minutes. SO good! You have to try it. And if you are not a huge beef eater, try it with ground turkey. That is my fave!





I will post my recipes for my great cake and bread another time. They are just so great too!





So here's to eating!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I made your meatloaf for dinner tonight. Thanks for the recipe. So much better than putting it in a loaf. The girls even asked for seconds!