Thursday, December 6, 2007

dilemma

I have never been one to leave my kids. Rarely do I leave them to run errands, much less date nights. I am getting better about date nights, not that we do them regularly, but I can leave and feel confident in doing so. I left Bennett for the first time when he was two. We were moving up to Chicago and it was going to be a quick trip and I didn't want him to be bored or in the way so we left him with my parents. Things went well, but we haven't left him again for any overnighters. There are several reasons why. I have gone three nights without the twins when I had Maddox and honestly that was the hardest part when I found out I was pregnant with him knowing I would have to leave the twins. At any rate, it is not like I am scared to leave them or think something bad will happen or so on, but I just don't care to.

Here is where the dilemma is. Next weekend is Andy's big work party. It is a black tie event at the big bosses mansion. Sounds fun right? We will be staying at the Hilton, with all the perks, room service, spa, pool, and so on. I had heard that they provided babysitting for the children. I had Andy look into because we pretty much only leave the kids with family. I wouldn't mind leaving them with someone else if I knew them well and we are still working on that. I do not feel confident in the babysitting they are providing, so after talking with my mom and Andy's sister they offered to watch our kids. The three boys staying here with my mom and Jadeyn going to Michelle's. In theory that sounds great. The thought of sleeping in and spending the day at the spa sounds heavenly, but I can't seem to bring myself to leave my children here. Every time I think about it I get sick. I know my friend Mindy would say cut the cord, and believe me I have, I just don't know what to do about this situation.

I need to decide real fast because a tux and formal needs to be bought real soon if we are going. And final arrangements for the children need to be made. I don't know what to do. See #6 on my previous post.

Oh and here is a big part of the reason I am not comfortable leaving. The day we will be gone is my twins birthday. Will I ever forgive myself? Ok so someone help!

7 comments:

Paige said...

From someone who just came back from four days with no kids: Go. You will not regret it. Your kids won't know it's their birthday unless you make a big deal of it. Better to go NOW on their birthday then when they are seven. They will have a GREAT time with your mom and Michelle. I think my kids were sad to see me come home because my mom was so super prepared with every fun activity known to man. It is just a night, you are close enough to come home in an emergency. You might even have a good time. AND you can carry a cute sexy clutch purse that isn't big enough for a diaper and wipes!! Weeeee!!

Anonymous said...

You know I am one of the people that doesn't like leaving my kids anywhere either. So last month when we went to Vegas we took the girls with us. I missed the first two nights dinners b/c i didn't want to leave the girls, but on the last night we had the hotel find us a nanny service and they lady they got us was just like a grandma. Paige totally loved her and she arrived 30 mins before we left to go downstairs to eat, and she asked every little question...needless to say I felt better about leaving the girls with her than with my mother-in-law. She was great!

Andrea said...

Just do it!! You'll have fun!! The kids will be fine! BTW, this advice, is coming from someone who has only left their oldest child for 1 night when we were moving. Thinking about your night out makes me want to have one too!

Alison said...

GO, GO, GO, GO, GO, GO.....(I know what you mean though...I remember feeling that way...but I eventually just did it and found that I really needed it more than I reallized! My kids forgave me, they still love me & I them.) You can do this! =)

Bonnie Wayne said...

So, the most memorable moments as a couple that Brian and I have POST KIDS are when we went to CAncun ALL BY OURSELVES. There are a million days to be a mom - but not to many days to JUST be a couple after you have kids. I always wished my parents would go on overnighters - as a kid it would have helped that much more to reassure me that they loved each other. I always wondered why they never did stuff like that together. Just take the time to be in LOVE with your husband - the kids will be able to tell that mom and dad are better for it! ENJOY YOURSELVES!!

PS I also LOVED my special time at my cousin's house and grandparents house without my parents from time to time. Some of my favorite memories as a kid.

Mindy said...

You're right. CUT IT! You'll never regret it. You're kids don't know the difference if you celebrate their birthday early. GO GO GO!

Or I will!

pam said...

Honestly child, go...have a good time, enjoy the quiet, enjoy your husband. You're kids will thank you and be better not worse for it. And above all, have fun!